LOADING

Type to search

Attack Britain

Person attempts to burn down Exeter Synagogue in shock attack

Share
Source: Devonlive

Exeter – Exeter Synagogue, opposite Mecca Bingo, has been involved in a shocking arson attempt.

The incident prompted the closure of Synagogue Place, off Mary Arches Street, for several hours at around 8pm last night.

Police were called following reports that a person had tried to ignite an ‘accelerant’ that had been poured into the building in Mary Arches Street, in Exeter.

Those inside the bingo hall, directly opposite, were told the entire walkway had been shut.

Police immediately attended, and following review of cctv footage in the area and later arrested a 51-year-old man on suspicion of arson.

Tristan Morgan, aged 51, from Alexandra Terrace, Exeter, was due in court on Monday morning charged with arson with intent of endangering life.

He remains in police custody, with the investigation being led by officers from Exeter CID.

It appears that no one was hurt during the incident and that damage to the building is minor.

Police currently believe that this is an isolated incident, although local officers will be meeting with Synagogue staff to both update them on the investigation and provide local reassurance.

A spokesperson for Exeter Synagogue said they are ‘not making a statement at this time.’