United States / 15-11-2016
FBI 2015 Hate crime statistics
This year’s report, which contains data from 14,997 law enforcement agencies, reveals 5,850 criminal incidents and 6,885 related offenses that were motivated by bias against race, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sexual orientation, disability, gender, and gender identity.
Additional findings in Hate Crime Statistics, 2015 include the following:
- There were 5,818 single-bias incidents involving 7,121 victims. Of those victims, 59.2 percent were targeted because of a race/ethnicity/ancestry bias; 19.7 percent because of a religious bias; 17.7 percent because of a sexual orientation bias; 1.7 percent because of a gender identity bias; 1.2 percent because of a disability bias; and 0.4 percent because of a gender bias.
- There were an additional 32 multiple-bias incidents that involved another 52 victims.
- Of the 4,482 hate crime offenses classified as crimes against persons, intimidation accounted for 41.3 percent of those offenses, while 37.8 percent involved simple assault and 19.7 percent involved aggravated assault.
- There were 2,338 hate crime offenses classified as crimes against property, and the majority of those (72.6 percent) were acts of destruction/damage/vandalism.
- During 2015, most reported hate crime incidents (31.5 percent) happened in or near residences or homes.
- Of the 5,493 known offenders, 48.4 percent were white, 24.3 percent were black or African-American, and race was unknown for 16.2 percent of the offenders. The rest were of various other races.
New to the 2015 Hate Crime Statistics report is the inclusion of seven additional religious anti-bias categories (anti-Buddhist, anti-Eastern Orthodox, anti-Hindu, anti-Jehovah’s Witness, anti-Mormon, anti-other Christian, and anti-Sikh), as well as an anti-Arab bias motivation.
On most pages in Hate Crime Statistics, 2015, a link to “download printable document” is provided. In addition to downloading individual documents this way, site visitors may opt to obtain all of the publication’s tables and narrative portions as follows:
This file includes Microsoft Excel files for the Participation Table and Tables 1 through 14. It was compressed with WinZip software.
Hate Crime Statistics, 2015, Tables (file size 1,929 KB)
This file contains the Adobe Portable Document Format (i.e., PDF) files of the narrative portions of the topic pages, resource pages, and data declarations. It was compressed with WinZip software.
Hate Crime Statistics, 2015, Narrative Files (file size 2,005 KB)